Thursday, April 4, 2013

Terms Agreed To--Contract Next Week

I have come to agreement with 47North Publications on the terms of a publishing contract with them.  I expect to have draft contracts to review, comment upon, and sign sometime next week.  The exact terms of the deal are, naturally, confidential.  I can assure you, however, that so far I feel that I am being treated very fairly and being given the impression that my work and I are valuable commodities. 

All this stuff has been a tremendous distraction for the past few weeks and I haven't gotten much writing done.  I'm hoping that when I get the contracts signed, things will be back to business as usual and I can get back to what my new life as an author is all about:  writing.  Speaking of which, I have pretty much trashed what I have done so far on the first chapter and decided to do something totally different.  I'm excited about the new approach.  It's different from how I started the other two books and I do believe it will help the new book get off to a real roaring start.

4 comments:

Matthew F. said...

First, congratulations on securing a publisher that will give you a fair royalty and creative control over your excellent books - now and in the future. Although, I am disappointed that that your new works won't come out until 2014, it does give you time to write out more adventures of high quality. I only ask that, should you never tire of the hard work of producing excellent writing about Max and Bram's adventures, you know there is at least one person who will always await them eagerly. All the best and luck to you.

Unknown said...

I recently found the Man of War series for my Kindle and purchased the first installment without reading the reviews. Normally I read a few Amazon reviews before a purchase but sci-fi is a universe unto itself - what one finds fascinating another may find utterly boring. In any event I finished the first installment the other night and immediately purchased the second despite the assertion that "aliens" in your known universe find synchronized swimming AND curling to be worthy endeavors. Puhleeeeeessss - there can't be 10 sentient beings in this entire universe who find BOTH synchronized swimming AND curling to be anything more than boring wastes of energy. One has to suspend certain realities when reading sci-fi - your space-faring man-sized rodents are one thing, but "synchronized swimming"??? jeez, I can accept the Tadpoles Who Stand In Their Own Feces And Urine before I can accept the concept of ANY intelligent space-faring species based on carbon, silicone, mercury or whatever, but "CURLING"?

Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to Tribbles Who Slay Klingons or something similar in the next installment :)

H. Paul Honsinger, Military Science Fiction Author and Retired Attorney said...

David, I think you know that the bit about synchronized swimming and curling was something of a joke. On the other hand, it is certainly plausible that aliens will find fascinating some things that we can't stand. Different cultures are, after all, different. Look at how Jerry Lewis is revered as a comic genius of galactic proportions in France while the French turn up their noses at Jack Benny and George Carlin.

Unknown said...

Ahh yes, the French. Those of us of a certain age may remember a famous ditty written in the National Lampoon circa 1972:

The French, they are a funny race
They fight with their feet
And f**K with their face.

A good friend and retired brigadier general informed me that the above was originally heard in France during the Second Great War.

Aliens indeed.